So often when we get together for Thanksgiving, we offer up prayers to thank the Lord for our family, friends, and the food on our table. That’s wonderful! I love all those things and am thankful for them. But so often we forget about the little things, which aren’t so little after all. Are you thankful that your alarm clock works every morning when you have to get up and go to work? Okay, maybe some of you would rather it not work! Or what about clean water in which you can drink and bathe in? How about a working oven to cook your turkey when you’ve got company coming over? I think you get my point. We take these things for granted, until the electricity or something else goes out.
Next time you get together with your friends, here’s a great way to get to know one another better and give thanks for the everyday things.
Grab some magazines (preferably one per person). Give each person a pen, paper, and a magazine. Set an allotted time for them to go through the magazine looking at ads, articles, and pictures. Then have them list ten things that they are thankful for based on what they’ve seen in the magazine.
Here’s an example:
- Camera ad ~ I’m thankful for all the wonderful memories I have.
- A picture of a basket with a yellow ribbon tied on it ~ I’m thankful for the soldiers who have fought for my freedom.
- Car ad ~ I’m thankful my car is running well.
- Milk ad ~ I’m thankful God created every living creature with a purpose. And how we all depend on one another.
- A picture of four women ~ I’m thankful for the friends in my life.
- Antihistamine and floral ad ~ I’m so thankful for beautiful flowers in all different colors of the rainbow that carpet the earth.
- A picture of a woman smiling ~ I’m thankful when someone makes me laugh or puts a smile on my face.
- A picture of a cupcake ~ I’m thankful for the sweet things in life. Figuratively speaking, like icing on the cake.
- An article on water ~ I’m thankful that I’m drinking more water. I still need to work on it, but it’s a start.
- A picture of a place card with a name on it ~ I’m thankful for the name my mom and dad gave me when I was born.